NBME Explanations

New Launch of Test Pirates Downloads with NBME answers and explanations

NBME Explanations

My Step 1 Exam Experience

Discussion in 'USMLE Step 1' started by pepino, May 20, 2015.

1. pepino

Expand Collapse

I'm pretty lazy, so maybe I'll come back and edit this post later with more topic-specific details, but just a general overview of my test day experience. I know people are starting to take exams this month, so I hope this will be helpful.

Test Center: It was fine, although I've heard of others complaining that the room was too hot or cold or whatever. You really become zoned in and these things become insignificant. I would recommend you take a pair of foam earplugs in case you're hypersensitive to people clicking or typing (damn GRE). Take a jacket to the center in case.

Food: Take lots of snacks. You'll never know what you're going to actually feel like and crave on test day. I had my regular bowl of cereal for breakfast. Took my coffee with me on the drive and into the test center. I took with me leftover pizza, a pb&j sandwich, an apple, protein bar, a Monster energy drink, and two chocolate bars.

Breaks: I skipped the tutorial, which gives you an extra 15 min of break time, to make it total of 60 minutes of break. I did two blocks, then used the restroom and had an apple and a sip of my Monster (~8-10min break). I then did another 2 blocks (the 4th block was a bit of a drag), and then took a full lunch, to have some pizza, relax, pee again, etc. (~25-30 min). I did then ONE block, and took another quick break (5-8min), then another ONE block, and took another quick break (5-8min, putting me at about 52 minutes of break time used). After completing my 6th block, I had about 8 minutes of breaktime left, but I didn't really feel like getting up at that point, so I just took 30 seconds in my seat, and started my last block.
    - One note about breaks. It takes 2-3 minutes to check in and check out, you have to place your fingerprint and someone will use a metal-detector wand and watch you empty your pockets. If the test center is busier, this can increase the time you are waiting to leave/enter the test room.

Test: This will obviously vary between tests
    Overall: Similar to UWorld, but with tons of EASY EASY questions mixed in. Don't forget that people need to pass the test too, so there will be easy questions. I would say that it was more similar to the NBME practice tests than UW. On my Step 1, I scored identical to my latest UW self-assessment exam, though (which was higher than my NBME practice test).

Test Topics
    - Anatomy: a lot on my test, which freaked me out because it was my weakest topic going in. However, I ended up getting a '*' on my score report, so go figure. Use first aid and UW to help guide knowledge, but this is the most unpredictable section of the test
    - Stats: easy points here, don't miss them
    - Biochem: easy questions. Several genetics questions, one was very difficult. I wouldn't worry so much about the difficult ones on UW. I would say I had less here than I expected
    - Micro: Tons of questions, some easy, some hard. Know your viruses.
    - Immuno: very high yeild
    - Organ-specific: mostly pathology, very minimal physiology. Tons of cards, pulm, and GI
    - Cardio sounds: I had 3 on my test. 2 were extremely easy, and one was quite tough.
    - Heme-Onc: A few smears, all easy. Don't worry about random lymphomas/leukemias. Just know the main stuff. If you don't know it well, though, I could see this section being a bit tough.
    - Pharm: some pharmacokinetics, some general pharm. Know the MAIN and UNIQUE side effects. No one cares that lisinopril can cause a headache. What matters more is the angioedema, the dry cough, and the hyperkalemia

I can keep going on these topics if it's helpful

2. mikesm

Expand Collapse

thanks

3. chrissi b

Expand Collapse

Do you mind me asking what you scored on the test?
    Thanks by the way that's really helpful!!

4. cbokman7

Administrator
    Staff Member
    Expand Collapse

@orthopod I second the question above - do you mind sharing your score? Thanks!

5. Rogermoore007

Expand Collapse

Thank you so very much for sharing... please feel free to add any additional details.

6. Rogermoore007

Expand Collapse

Thank you so very much for sharing... please feel free to add any additional details.

7. Rogermoore007

Expand Collapse

8. Michaelgew

Expand Collapse

wypadki

9. Michaelgew

Expand Collapse

pomoc prawna